In our earlier post we had discussed about the writ petition filed before Hon’ble Gujarat High court for extension of due date of Tax audit report and Income tax return.
In the above writ petition the Hon’ble Gujarat High court had directed Ministry of Finance to consider the plea of extension of due date and respond before 12.01.2021.
Now, CBDT has vide order u/s 119 has considered the above plea and has replied as under:
1. CBDT has said that it has already given many extension considering the pandemic.
2. Further CBDT has said that as compared to last year more returns have been filed this year which in itself states that majority people have filed their return.
3. Last year also 24% of total audits were filed in last 3 days and hence lesser filing compliances having been
made much before the due date cannot be said to be an anomalous situation.
4. CBDT has also provided a comparative chart showing that extensions given in India are much more than what is provided in other countries.
5. Any further extension would adversely affect the return filing discipline and shall also cause injustice to those who have taken pains to file the return before the due date.
Thus, considering the above points and various other things CBDT has rejected all the representations for further extension of the due date.
To read full order CLICK HERE.